About MPE

Our History

From twelve founding families in 1958 to the neighborhood MPE is today.

Skillman Street was extended after World War II, opening farmland once owned by the Merriman and Murdoch families — split by present-day Colfax — to new development. What began as a single street of homes has grown, over nearly seven decades, into the twelve-street neighborhood residents call home today.

1940

Developer Hal McGraw acquires the Merriman family land.


Dec 1956

McGraw opens Merriman Park on the south side; Andrew and Anna Freed become the first MPE residents.


1957

Merriman Park Estates ("the Estates") opens with larger lots. Louise and Frank Hicks host the first resident Christmas party.


March 1958

MPE Club, Inc. is formed by twelve original families.


1960

The first issue of The Estater newsletter is published. By September, all but ten lots are complete.


1967

McGraw acquires the neighboring Murdoch farm.


Nov 1975

Construction begins on Claybrook and Winedale streets. RISD purchases 9 acres at Greenville/Walnut Hill for a future Merriman Park Elementary.


March 1982

Original resident R.B. Brooks passes away.


March 1986

The Dallas Park Department names the park along Merriman Parkway in his honor.


Oct 1996

Volunteers In Patrol (VIP) is organized with 35 volunteers.


Sept 1999

Playground equipment is installed at R.B. Brooks Park.


March 2000

Resident Ric Moseley creates and hosts the first MPE website.


April 2001

Street sign toppers are installed throughout the neighborhood.


May 2006

Forbes lists the 75231 zip code among the highest home-value-growth areas of 2003–2005.


Nov 2007

Groundbreaking for the Lake Highlands Town Center.


Dec 2010

The Lake Highlands DART station opens.


2013–2014

Town Center phase one opens: a parking garage and the Haven Lake Highlands apartments.


Nov 2014

NorthRock Lake Highlands apartments open.


Aug 2015

Artistik Edge becomes the first Town Center retail tenant.